What Data We Get
We collect certain data from you directly, like the information you enter yourself, data about your consumption of content, and data from third-party platforms you connect with Edukko. We also collect some data automatically, like information about your device and what parts of our Services you interact with or spend time using. All data listed in this section is subject to the following processing activities: collecting, recording, structuring, storing, altering, retrieving, encrypting, pseudonymizing, erasing, combining, and transmitting.
|Category of Personal Data
||Legal Basis for Processing
||In order to use certain features (like accessing content), you need to create a user account, which requires us to collect and store your email address, password, and account settings. To create an instructor account, we collect and store your name, email address, password, and account settings. Upon account creation, we assign you a unique identifying number.
- Performance of contract
- Legitimate interests (service provisioning, identity verification, fraud prevention and security, communication)
||You can also choose to provide profile information like a photo, profiles, country, or other data. Your Profile Data will be publicly viewable by others.
- Performance of contract
- Legitimate interests (enhanced platform functionality, convey content source information)
|Student Payment Data
||You must provide certain payment and billing data directly to our payment service providers, including your name, credit card information. We may also receive limited information, like the fact that you have a new card and the last four digits of that card, from payment service providers to facilitate payments. For security, Edukko does not collect or store sensitive cardholder data, such as full credit card numbers or card authentication data.
- Performance of contract
- Legal obligation
- Legitimate interests (payment facilitation, fraud prevention and security, compliance)
|Teacher Payment Data
- Performance of contract
- Legal obligation
- Legitimate interests (service provisioning, payment facilitation, fraud prevention and security, compliance)
|Communications and Support
- Legitimate interests (customer and technical support)
What We Use Your Data For
We use your data to do things like provide our Services, communicate with you, troubleshoot issues, secure against fraud and abuse, improve and update our Services, analyze how people use our Services, serve personalized advertising, and as required by law or necessary for safety and integrity. We retain your data for as long as it is needed to serve the purposes for which it was collected.
We use the data we collect through your use of the Services to:
- Provide and administer the Services, including facilitating participation in educational content, displaying customized content, and facilitating communication with other users (Account Data; Shared Content; Learning Data; System Data; Usage Data);
- Process payments to Teachers and other third parties (Student or Parent Payment Data; Teacher Payment Data);
- Process your requests for educational content, products, specific services, information, or features (Account Data; Learning Data; Student Payment Data; System Data; Communications, and Support);
- Communicate with you about your account by:
- Responding to your questions and concerns;
- Sending you administrative messages and information, including messages from teachers, and students, notifications about changes to our Service; and updates to our agreements;
- Sending you information, such as by email or text messages, about your progress in lessons and related content, rewards programs, new services, new features, promotions, newsletters, and other available teacher-created content (which you can opt out of at any time);
- Sending push notifications to your wireless device to provide updates and other relevant messages (which you can manage from the “settings” page of the mobile app);
- Manage your account and account preferences and personalize your experience (Account Data; Learning Data; Student Payment Data; Instructor Payment Data; System Data, Usage Data, and Cookie Data);
- Facilitate the Services’ technical functioning, including troubleshooting and resolving issues, securing the Services, and preventing fraud and abuse.
- Verify the identity of the teacher (Account Data; Teacher Payment Data);
- Solicit feedback from users (Account Data; Communications and Support);
- Learn more about you by linking your data with additional data through third-party data providers and/or analyzing the data with the help of analytics service providers (Account Data);
- Identify unique users across devices (Account Data);
- Improve our Services and develop new products, services, and features.
Who We Share Your Data With
We share certain data about you with teachers, other students, Edukko affiliates, our business partners, analytics and data enrichment providers, your social media providers, companies helping us run promotions and surveys, and advertising companies who help us promote our Services. We may also share your data as needed for security, legal compliance, or as part of a corporate restructuring. Lastly, we can share data in other ways if it is aggregated or de-identified or if we get your consent.
With Your Teacher:
We share data that we have about you (except your email address) with teachers for educational content you access or request information about, so they can improve their content for you and other students. This data may include things like your country. We will not share your email address with the teacher.
With Other Students and Instructors:
Depending on your settings, your shared content, and profile data may be publicly viewable, including to other students and instructors. If you ask a question to an instructor or teaching assistant, your information (including your name) may also be publicly viewable.
With Service Providers, Contractors, and Agents:
We share your data with third-party companies who perform services on our behalf, like payment processing, fraud, and abuse prevention, data analysis, marketing, and advertising services (including retargeted advertising), email and hosting services, and customer services and support. These service providers may access your personal data and are required to use it solely as we direct, to provide our requested service.
With Credit-Granting Organizations for Continuing Education:
If you take a lesson to fulfill a continuing professional education requirement, we may share that information upon the request of the organization granting the continuing education credit.
With Analytics and Data Enrichment Services:
As part of our use of third-party analytics tools like Google Analytics and data enrichment services like ZoomInfo, we share certain contact information or de-identified data. De-identified data means data where we’ve removed things like your name and email address and replaced it with a token ID. This allows these providers to provide analytics services or match your data with publicly-available database information (including contact and social information from other sources). We do this to communicate with you in a more effective and customized manner.
To Power Social Media Features:
To Administer Promotions and Surveys:
We may share your data as necessary to administer, market, or sponsor promotions and surveys you choose to participate in, as required by applicable law (like to provide a winners list or make required filings), or in accordance with the rules of the promotion or survey. (Account Data; Sweepstakes, Promotions, and Surveys)
If we decide to use an advertising-supported revenue model in the future, we may use and share certain System Data and Usage Data with third-party advertisers and networks to show general demographic and preference information among our users. We may also allow advertisers to collect System Data through Data Collection Tools (as detailed in Who We Share Your Data With), to use this data to offer you targeted ad delivery to personalize your user experience (through behavioral advertising) and to undertake web analytics. Advertisers may also share with us the data they collect about you. To learn more or opt out of participating in ad networks’ behavioral advertising. Note that if you opt-out, you’ll continue to be served generic ads. (System Data)
For Security and Legal Compliance:
We may disclose your data to third parties if we (in our sole discretion) have a good faith belief that the disclosure is:
- Requested as part of a judicial, governmental, or legal inquiry, order, or proceeding;
- Reasonably necessary as part of a valid subpoena, warrant, or other legally-valid requests;
- Required to detect, prevent, or address fraud, abuse, misuse, potential violations of law (or rule or regulation), or security or technical issues;
- Reasonably necessary in our discretion to protect against imminent harm to the rights, property, or safety of Edukko, our users, employees, members of the public, or our Services;
- Required or permitted by law.
We may disclose or use aggregated or de-identified data for any purpose.
With Your Permission:
Accessing, Updating, and Deleting Your Personal Data
You can access and update your personal data that Edukko collects and maintains as follows:
- To update the data you provide directly, log into your account and update your account at any time.
- To terminate your account:
- If you are a student, visit your profile settings page and delete the account.
- If you are a teacher, visit your profile settings page and delete the account.
- If you have any issues terminating your account, please contact our support team
- To request to access, correct, or delete your personal data, you can also contact Edukko support
Our Policy Concerning Children
We recognize the privacy interests of children and encourage parents and guardians to take an active role in their children’s online activities and interests. Individuals younger than 18 years of age, but of the required age for consent to use online services where they live may not set up an account but may have a parent or guardian open an account and help them access appropriate content. Individuals younger than the required age for consent to use online services may not use the Services. If we learn that we’ve collected personal data from a child under those ages, we will take reasonable steps to delete it.
Parents who believe that Edukko may have collected personal data from a child under those ages can submit a request to remove that account